1 dead, 11 poisoned in Michigan hotel carbon monoxide leak

Adjust Comment Print

At least six children found unconscious in the indoor-pool area of a MI hotel are hospitalized, with at least some in critical condition due to carbon monoxide poisoning, officials said.

Memorial Hospital of South Bend in IN is treating nine patients, eight children and one adult.

Police say a Niles officer and a Berrien County sheriff's deputy were hospitalized for carbon monoxide overexposure.

WNDU-TV, the NBC affiliate out of South Bend, reported another patient was in good condition at Lakeland Hospital in Niles.

Police have identified a boy who died from a carbon monoxide buildup at a hotel pool as 13-year-old Bryan Douglas Watts of Niles. The other six children hospitalized as a result of the toxic leak ranged in age from 12-14.

The Niles Police Department said they believe the carbon-monoxide leak was caused by a broken pool heater.

Tillerson meets China's Xi, says Trump hopes to meet 'soon': State Dept.
The two, however, did not directly exchange ideas on North Korea, Reuters said, amid rising military provocations from Pyongyang. Tourism, transport business and cultural exchanges between China and South Korea have all reportedly suffered since the spat.

Be proactive - Use the "Flag as Inappropriate" link at the upper right corner of each comment to let us know of abusive posts.

MLive.com reports Wise said the carbon monoxide buildup was caused by the pool heater.

He says the staff members who discovered the boys immediately opened doors and called 911, which may have made all the difference.

Jessica Hines, a spokeswoman for Lakeland Hospital there, told CNN one person was "confirmed dead on arrival". Emergency responders started CPR on all the children and then rushed them to local hospitals. She had just come from the pool area.

The hotel was evacuated and remained shut down after the incident. The carbon monoxide monitor used revealed that the levels were 16 times the safety limit at 800 parts per million. 'At those levels, they don't have much time before they're going to go unresponsive'.

It's unclear if there is a carbon monoxide detector in the hotel's pool area.

Comments