On the same day, a 20-year-old college student in CT died after participating in a pancake-eating contest at Sacred Heart University in Hartford.
The daughter of an officer who was killed in the September 11 terror attacks died Friday after choking during a pancake eating contest.
Kalamaras told the AP two nearby nursing students immediately started performing lifesaving measures when Nelson began to choke, and were joined by on scene police and paramedics.
She was taken to a hospital in Bridgeport in critical but stable condition and transferred to NY on Friday. She was from Clark, New Jersey, and was a junior majoring in social work at the Roman Catholic school in Fairfield.
Several thousand people gathered on the Sacred Heart campus to remember Nelson - who was a member of the Kappa Delta sorority. Her father was a police officer who died in the September 11, 2001, attacks on the World Trade Center.
According to medical staff, Nelson had allergies, but at the time they were not able to confirm that they were a "contributing factor to the incident", according to police.
1 dead, 11 poisoned in Michigan hotel carbon monoxide leak
He says the staff members who discovered the boys immediately opened doors and called 911, which may have made all the difference. Police have identified a boy who died from a carbon monoxide buildup at a hotel pool as 13-year-old Bryan Douglas Watts of Niles.
Caitlin was just five-years-old at the time. The 40-year-old cop also helped evacuate the area after the 1993 bombing.
Caitlin and her sister Anne have volunteered with Resiliency Center of Newtown, helping people affected by the Sandy Hook shooting. "No family should have to endure the loss of a child ever and they already lost her dad on 9/11, it's heart wrenching".
"As tragic and as bad as this is for the family, the number of people whose lives can be saved and affected by the various organs that can be donated is in the dozens", he says.
The Fairfield Police Department said cops rushed to the charity dinner and attempted to clear Nelson's airway, but their attempts failed.
The Sacred Heart University made a vibrant tribute to him on Sunday evening by organizing a candlelight vigil.