ISIS Death Toll from 'Mother of All Bombs' Hits 90

Adjust Comment Print

The bomb used in the strike is claimed to be the biggest-ever non-nuclear bomb.

A general view of Achin district, in Jalalabad, after US forces dropped Thursday the bomb, Afghanistan, Friday, April 14, 2017.

Afghan officials had earlier said the bombing had killed 36 IS fighters.

"Dropping of the massive and the so-called mother of all bombs, celebrating the attack and using it as a propaganda tool show the growing barbarism of the American invaders", the Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said in a statement on Friday.

"This was the right weapon for the right target", Nicholson said.

"The strike has destroyed an ISIS headquarters, three ISIS hideouts along with several bunkers and deep tunnels as well as huge amount of weapons and ammunition", the Afghanistan Defense Ministry statement said.

The United States dropped a massive GBU-43 bomb, also known as the "mother of all bombs," in eastern Afghanistan on Thursday against a series of caves used by Islamic State militants. The United States Central Command said US Forces took every precaution to avoid civilian casualties before dropping the MOAB on tunnels of ISIS terrorists. Multiple Afghan officials previously said they had no information about the bombing before it happened. "It was an earsplitting blast", said Shah Wali, 46, who lives in the village of Goor Gari, 15 kilometers (9 miles) from the border with Nangarhar.

Easter egg hunts set for this weekend
The Lakeport Rotary Easter Egg Hunt goes on every year rain or shine, and usually attracts between 300 and 400 participants. Children up to third grade are invited to participate in an Easter Egg hunt with more than 7,000 eggs hidden.

On Saturday, former Afghan president Hamid Karzai criticised both the Afghan and U.S. governments for the attack.

The US hasn't provided any data on how many ISIS fighters were killed by the MOAB.

A Ministry of Defence official said on Friday that the number of dead could rise as officials assessed the bomb site in Achin district. President Donald Trump called Thursday's operation a "very, very successful mission".

The statement said it is the responsibility of Afghans, not the USA, to remove the Islamic State group from the country.

The commander of the US forces in Afghanistan, General John Nicholson, defended the use of the bomb and confirmed the target of the strike was the network of tunnels that ISIS fighters use to move around and protect themselves from Afghan and USA forces. The two militant movements are rivals of each other.

Hamdullah Mohib, Afghanistan's ambassador to the United States, told VOA that the Afghan national security forces, backed by North Atlantic Treaty Organisation, had been conducting military operations in eastern Nangarhar against IS forces for a week before Thursday's bombing, and that improvised explosive devices (IEDs) planted by extremist fighters had made it hard to advance.

While Islamic State's ranks in Afghanistan do include foreign fighters, Johnson said most of the extremist group's recruits are former Taliban members who joined for financial reasons.

Comments